International Fireproof Technology Inc (IFTI)
Building Products Listing Program
- International Fireproof Technology Inc (IFTI)
- Applied Fireproofing
- Irvine, CA
- March 17, 2019
- September 22, 2021
ASTM E84 “Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials”.
UL 723 “Standard for Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials:
ANSI/NFPA No 255 “Standard Method of Test of Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials“.
ASTM E2768 “Extended Duration Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials (30 Min Tunnel Test) “.
ASTM E119 “Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials”.
Description: DC5040 is an intumescent water based latex coating intended for application on wood-based products used in interior conditioned spaces to provide increased resistance to flammability and smoke development.
Product is marked with labels or stamp supplied by IFTI to each container. The markings include:
•Manufacturer’s name, trademark, or other recognized symbol ofidentification
•Product model designation
•QAI File Number B1117
•Date of manufacture or date code on the label or stamp
•Flame Spread Index / Smoke Developed Index Rating
•QAI logo shown here:
The following outlines DC5040 intumescent water based latex coating ratings determined in accordance with ASTM E84:
SUBSTRATE FLAME SPREAD INDEX (FSI) SMOKE DEVELOPED INDEX (SDI) APPLICATION (WET MILS) Cement Board 0 0 6* Oriented Strand Board (OSB) ≤ 25 ≤ 50 8* Pine Board ≤ 25 ≤ 50 10*
Note: UL 723 and NFPA No 255 are equivalent and have the same ratings.
The following outlines DC5040 intumescent water based latex coating ratings determined in accordance with ASTM E84 extended 20 Minutes (ASTM E2768):
SUBSTRATE FLAME SPREAD INDEX (FSI) SMOKE DEVELOPED INDEX (SDI) FLAME FRONT* APPLICATION (WET MILS) OSB ≤ 25 ≤ 450 < 10.5 ft 14*
Note *: As of September 2021, the formulation of DC5040 was updated and allows for reduced coating thicknesses for flame spread ratings. These ratings only refer to product made after this date.
The following outline DC5040 ratings determined in accordance with ASTM E119:
ASTM E119 Equivalent to solid sawn 2 x 10 Joists per IRC 2015, R302.13 Exception 4 and IRC 2012 Sec R501.3 Exception 4 DC5040 applied at
(min. 26 wet mils)
see details below
ASTM E119 Fire Resistant I-joist Floor Assembly Details:
1. I-Joists – Approved I-Joist installed per manufacturers recommendations and approval agencies listings, minimum – 9.5 in (241mm) depth I-Joist, manufactured with LVL chords (1-1/8 in. high by 1-3/4 in. wide) or Solid Sawn chords (1.5 in. x 2.5 in.) and a 3/8 in. thick OSB web); spaced (max) 24 in. cc (on-center). Adhesives used must meet ASTM D7247.
2. Subfloor Adhesive – OSI SF450 heavy-duty construction and subfloor adhesive or equivalent applied on the top chord of each I-Joist (prior to installing the OSB subfloor) in a 1/4 in. bead in a zig-zag pattern and to the tongue-and-groove seams between sheets of the Subfloor Sheathing.
3. Subfloor Sheathing — One (1) layer of 23/32 in. thick, OSB tongue-and-groove sub-floor, secured using 8d 2-1/2 in. long nails spaced 12 in. oc in conjunction with the Subfloor Adhesive.
4. Fire Coating —IFTI DC5040 fire coating spray applied at an average minimum thickness of 26 mils, wet film, to the entire surface of the I-Joist web and flange per manufacturer’s instructions. DC5040 shall be applied prior to installation of mechanical, electrical and plumbing components to insure full coverage of the I-Joists.
In field application, to installed wood framing and sheathing materials to reduce the Flammability and Smoke Development of various substrates. DC5040 can also be used for in field application to installed Engineered wood framing members such as Wood I-Joist to improve fire resistance properties. DC5040 shall be applied prior to installation of mechanical, electrical and plumbing components to ensure full coverage of the I-Joists. DC5040 is designed for interior condition spaces. All surface preparation should be carried out in accordance with good painting practices. To only be applied and used in weather protected locations where substrate moisture content is below 18%. DC5040 comes as a ready to use coating and must be thoroughly mixed before use. It can be applied with brush, roller or airless Sprayer. The mil thickness should to be checked during installation to ensure the minimum noted thickness are maintained.
Design, Installation & conditions of Use:
See Manufactures Approved Design and Installation Documents.
Final acceptance of the product in the intended application is to be determined by the authority having jurisdiction.
The materials, products or systems listed in this directory have been qualified to bear the QAI Listing Mark under the conditions stated with each Listing. Only those products bearing the QAI Listing Mark are considered to be listed by QAI.
No warrantee is expressed or implied, and no guarantee is provided that any jurisdictional authority will accept the Listing found herein. The appropriate authorities should be contacted regarding the acceptability of any given Listing.
Visit the QAI Online Listing Directory located at www.qai.org for the most up to date version of this Listing and to validate that this QAI Listing is active. Questions regarding this listing may be directed to email@example.com. Please include the listing number in the request.