Modus Structures Inc
Factory Built Structures Listing Program
- Modus Structures Inc
- Permanent Engineered Structures
- Crossfield, Alberta
- March 25, 2015
- November 27, 2020
CSA A277 “Procedure for certification of prefabricated buildings, modules, and panels”,
National Building Code of Canada (Parts 3,4,5,6)
Alberta Building Code (Parts 3,4,5,6)
BC Building Code (Parts 3,4,5,6)
National Plumbing Code
BC Plumbing Code
CSA C22.1 Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1
CSA B149.1 Propane and Natural Gas Installation Code
Note 1: Standards above a Provincially amended by Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Note 2: Unless otherwise specified, the Standards/Codes are the most current versions in effect.
Factory Built Permanent Engineered Structures, Group A, Div. 2
Products are labelled and marked in a permanent manner where it is readily visible after installation with the following information:
1. The Specification Nameplate (item 1068, white with black, 8-1/2” x 14”) is located in close proximity to the electrical panel and includes:
• Manufacturer’s Name and Address
• Date of Manufacture
• Model Serial Number or Product Code
• Foundation Type
• Floor Live Load
• Specified Snow Load (1/50)
• Seismic Response Sa(0.2)
• Hourly Wind Pressure (1/50)
• Envelope Effective Thermal Resistance
• Windows/Doors/Skylights Thermal Effectiveness
• Outside Design Temperature (Heat Loss/Heat Gain)
• Factory Installed Appliances
• Site installed Components, Assemblies and Systems
• Electrical System Voltage, Amperage and Frequency
2. QAI label with ‘c’ identifier (item 1097) – black lettering with silver background is normally located in close proximity to the electrical panel.
QAI logo shown here:
Permanent engineered modular structures under Part 3, 4, 5, 6 of the National Building Code of Canada, BC Building Code and Alberta Building Code. These permanent modular structures are classified under the following occupancy groups:
• Group A-Division 2
For a full list of structures covered under this occupancy please refer to
Division B, Notes to Part 3, A-18.104.22.168.(1) Major Occupancy Classification in the National Building Code of Canada
Structures included in this listing are manufactured in single or multiple modules up to a maximum of 2-storey configurations.
The design of each discipline: structural, architectural, mechanical, and electrical, require review and approval by registered professionals registered in the province where the units are intended to be installed. The registered professionals are responsible for completing the letters of assurance – Schedules A & B (during permit process) and schedules C-Bs (after completion of the project).
• Structurally Insulated Panels for floors, walls, and ceilings (All three assemblies are certified by QAI Laboratories Ltd. under listing B1038-1)
• Structural Steel with Integrated Insulation Panel (IIP) as the envelope. (The IIP assembly is certified by QAI Laboratories Ltd. under listing B1038-2)
• Structurally Insulated Panels for ceilings and floors. (Assemblies are certified by QAI Laboratories Ltd. under listing B1038-1)
• Conventional wood frame construction for exterior walls and TJI joists for floors.
120/240V, 60Hz, 400A max.
Conventional drainage and vent systems to a maximum of 240 hydraulic fixture units.
Heating / Ventilation:
Units may be equipped with central gas furnace and electric air conditioning units. Units may be equipped with Heat Pump and Fan Coil heating and air conditioning system.
Units may be equipped with gas fired furnace or water heater.
Sprinkler and Fire Alarm Systems: The certification covers factory installed portions of the fire alarm and sprinkler systems. The design of the fire alarm and sprinkler system must be designed by a professional engineer registered in the province in which the building is intended. Installation and commissioning of the fire alarm and sprinkler system must be completed on site by qualified technicians as per the requirements of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
Structures included in this listing are permanent engineered structures manufactured at a central facility and transported to the site location. These modules, when completely assembled on site, are equipped with normal facilities for connection to municipal water, gas, and electrical services. QAI certification covers the construction of the modules and any factory installed electrical, plumbing, and gas services, and is intended to obviate the necessity of further inspections by the local regulatory authorities except for site connections to services or to other modules and for site mounting features.
The materials, products or systems listed in this directory have been qualified to bear the QAI Listing Mark under the conditions stated with each Listing. Only those products bearing the QAI Listing Mark are considered to be listed by QAI. No warrantee is expressed or implied, and no guarantee is provided that any jurisdictional authority will accept the Listing found herein. The appropriate authorities should be contacted regarding the acceptability of any given Listing. Visit the QAI Online Listing Directory located at www.qai.org for the most up to date version of this Listing and to validate that this QAI Listing is active. Questions regarding this listing may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the listing number in the request.